Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Run/Walking the Jeff Galloway Way

Twenty years ago, I was an avid runner.  I was never very fast.  I typically ran 10 minute miles (which is not fast in the running world).  I discovered long-distance running and ran a marathon.  Shortly thereafter, I stopped running consistently and haven't gotten back to it for more than a few months at a time since.

Fast forward sixteen years or so to about three years ago.  I discover a new way of "running" called run/walking by reading about Jeff Galloway's method of running.  He advocates alternating between running for a relatively short period of time (30 seconds to a few minutes) and then walking for a short period of time (15 seconds to 90 seconds).   As a person's speed increases, the time spent running increases and the time spent walking decreases.  Here's an example of  Jeff Galloway's proposed walk/run intervals for a variety of speeds (see the bottom of the link).

My 60th birthday is coming up in November.  To celebrate my birthday, my husband and I will be running the Cantigny 5K.  I started training for it a couple weeks ago using Galloway's 5k training program.  Training is going great.  So far it's very easy.  I'm currently training by running 30 seconds and walking 60 seconds.  How easy is that!  Yesterday I did two miles at a 15:30 pace according to Endomondo.  Since I'm in the 15 minute pace range, I'll be shifting to a 30 second run, 45 second walk interval in accordance with Galloway's recommendations.

Jeff Galloway running is a great way to ease back into running painlessly.  His training programs are simple and have a very slow progression.  I think almost anyone interested in running could do them.  The amazing thing about his method of running is that it seems to work at all levels.  The longer the run, the more valuable the walk intervals are to maintaining speed and enhancing recovery.  I really like his approach to running.

The race is in nine more weeks.  I don't have a time goal for the race.  I just want to do it and have fun. It's a kickstart to get back into running.  I plan to keep picking races to do over the winter to keep me motivated to stay in shape.  Nothing worse than running a race unprepared and being miserable.

I see running and biking as very complimentary cross-training aerobic activities.  It's all part of a plan to be active and healthy into my 70's and 80's and possibly even beyond.  Who knows!


No comments:

Post a Comment